top of page

Configuration or Customization. Which way to go?

In the world of software development, there are two terms that often get thrown around: configuration and customization. While they may sound similar, they are actually quite different. In this blog post, we will explore the differences between configuration and customization, and when to use each approach.


What is Configuration?


Configuration refers to the process of setting up a system to work in a specific way by modifying its settings. These settings can be adjusted through an interface or configuration files, and they dictate how the system behaves. Configuration changes are usually made by a system administrator or an end-user, depending on the level of access they have to the system.

An example of configuration is setting up a business rules, business processes, assigning roles to users to enable certain features. Configuring a system is usually a straightforward process and does not require much technical knowledge. It involves adjusting existing settings to meet specific requirements with next to zero changes to the underlying code. No POs, no vendors, no additional costs.


What is Customization?


Customization - Clients pick and choose features
Customization

Customization, on the other hand, involves modifying the code or design of a system to meet specific needs that cannot be achieved through configuration alone. Customization requires a more in-depth knowledge of the system and programming skills. Customizations are typically made by developers or designers.


An example of customization is creating a custom functionality for a website or solution, modifying the source code of a software application, or building a custom module for a to work along with the solution. Customization involves making changes to the underlying code of a system, which can be time-consuming and costly.


When to Use Configuration?


Configurability should be the first criteria to look at while looking for new solutions as it can save huge costs in the future in terms of customizations and maintenance costs (AMCs), and configuration should be the first approach to consider when making changes to an existing system. It is ideal when the desired changes can be achieved through existing settings or options. Configuration changes are usually quick to implement, require minimal testing, and have little to no impact on the stability of the system.

Configuration is also an excellent approach for non-technical users who need to adjust a system to suit their needs. For example, a user who needs to change a business rule on Scolend, can do so through configuration from the front-end without having to understand the underlying code.


When to Use Customization?


Customization should be used when configuration options are not sufficient to meet specific requirements. Customization allows for more significant changes to be made to a system, such as adding new functionality, modifying existing functionality, or integrating with third-party systems.

Customization is also ideal when the changes needed are unique to a particular organization or industry. In this case, off-the-shelf software may not meet the specific requirements of the organization, and customization is needed to create a solution tailored to their needs.


How does Scolend work?


Configuration Sample - Lending Designer Process Engine
Configuration

Scolend offers tremendous configurability to its users thereby giving them the control to drive the initiative. The Lending Process Designer Engine (LDPE) is an unprecedented capability in Scolend that can help you design business processes in a flash allowing you to introduce and implement products in the market that could not be imagined in the past. Scolend gives you the power to go as niche as you need with technology to back up the people who drive the initiatives.


We are sure Scolend can meet 99% of your requirements through configuration alone. SimSol is always there for its customers for the remaining 1% to deliver to you that perfect experience.


Conclusion


In conclusion, configuration and customization are two different approaches to making changes to a system. Configuration involves adjusting settings or options, while customization involves modifying the underlying code. Configuration is ideal for making quick changes that require minimal technical knowledge, while customization is ideal for making significant changes that require programming skills. By understanding the differences between configuration and customization, organizations can choose the right approach for their specific needs.

コメント


コメント機能がオフになっています。
bottom of page